Tuesday, May 12, 2009

A Day (x5) in the Life: Punta Cana Style

Last night, I just got back to Milwaukee after a 5-day trip to Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic with fellow Collection photographer, Amy of Ardent Photography. I had the pleasure and honor of second-shooting a destination wedding there with her, and am so grateful for the experience, the opportunity and the fun :) Thank you so much, Amy, for asking me to come along with you! It was amazing working with you, to say the least.

I'll be posting photos from the adorably affectionate couple's wedding and trash-the-dress (or what Adam and I call Unbridaled) session very soon, but thought I'd set the scene for you with some photos our resort first...

After leaving the palm-leaf-thatched-roof, open-air Punta Cana International Airport, we took a bus to our resort, the Bavaro Princess...





As soon as we got there, I told Amy that I hoped there would be TONS of geckos (I LOVE geckos... they were all over Hawaii when Adam and I were there and I've missed them ever since). Fortunately there were, along with another favorite of mine: turtles :)





Check out the little brown gecko I caught, puffing his throat!



The resort was gorgeous... inhabited by so many beautiful plants and birds. Definitely what you think of when you think of Paradise :)





Peacocks were all over the resort, and Amy had the pleasure of hearing my peacock call. She hasn't heard my turkey yet, but I'm sure she will one day ;)

Isn't the baby peacock the cutest?!











This last bird was one of my favorites on the resort. I love seeing huge birds like this (and the peacocks) fly!





(Looved the moon over the beach!!!)

Some of my favorite memories from the trip I don't have photos of, but they'll definitely be engrained in my memory... one memory I'm particularly proud of: I looked past my jellyfish fear and went snorkeling in the coral reef! :D

Amy and I went on a glass-bottom boat that took us to the reef. The beginning of the boat trip was a little rocky and I thought we'd capsize into the ocean, asking the captain to slow down in the only way I knew how... saying, "No me gusta!" over and over again :) I think it worked because after that it was a much smoother ride. Anyhoo, I was going to see how I felt about snorkeling once I got there, thinking I could just watch the fish from the glass-bottom boat. But since it couldn't go into the shallow reef, I didn't see any fish. There was no way I was going to let the boat ride be for nothing - and I had a previous phone conversation with my mom, who told me to stop being a wuss and just go snorkeling already - so I hopped into the reef :) It was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen; I can't even find words.

I also didn't get any photos of the delicious food that we ate every day. Dominican food = happy Miranda.

A couple of resort creatures we didn't manage to get photos of either were 1) the tarantula-sized spider we saw on our little nature walk the first night there, and 2) the mystery bug who bit me 50 times in my sleep, and whose bites are getting bigger and itchier by the day.

Any idea who the culprit might be?

Be sure to check back soon for more Punta Cana photos!

~Miranda

3 comments: